Battle Force-Catapult into Manufacturing
OWATC 2012 Summer Manufacturing Camp
The Ogden-Weber ATC, the Fabricators and Manufacturers Association, and the National Association for Community College Entrepreneurship are partnering together to launch a unique summer camp program that combines elements of manufacturing and entrepreneurshipâ€”how things are made and how businesses develop.
Campers will work in teams to design and manufacture a catapult while experiencing the start to finish satisfaction of creating something they can show off with pride. Participants will learn computer-aided design and use various manufacturing processes such as CNC machining and sheet metal, welding and composites fabrication under the close supervision of expert instructors. They will tour a local manufacturing facility learning what kinds of jobs exist, what skills and training are required, and how that business developed. They will have the opportunity to hear directly from local manufacturing company owners how they started their businesses, applying basic entrepreneurship principles to understand how a product idea becomes a business. On the last day of camp, participants can invite their parents and family members to observe the teams of campers compete against each other using their catapults. Information about OWATC programs and enrollment process will be provided.
- Approximately 20 participants, 14-18 years old
- Team building skills
- Design and manufacture a catapult
- Use computer-aided drafting, machining, sheet metal, welding and composites in project
- Field trip to local manufacturer
- Info about tech college programs and enrollment process
- June 11-15, 2012
- 9:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- Ogden-Weber Applied Technology College
- 200 North Washington Blvd, Ogden, Utah, 84404
- $60 – includes t-shirt, materials for project, lunch each day and tour of local manufacturing facility
- Enroll in person at the Ogden-Weber Tech College Enrollment Office located in the Student Services Building, 200 North Washington Blvd
- Enrollment Office Hours: Monday-Thursday, 7:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Pay $60 at the cashier window
- Cashier Hours: Monday-Thursday, 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m., Friday 9:00 a.m. – Noon
- Or pay online:
- Enter the Student Portal
- Select Online Payment Option
Enrollment Deadline: May 31, 2012
- Contact Curtis Nielsen at 801-627-8448 or email@example.com